Original Date: 02/26/2001
Revision Date: 01/18/2007
Best Practice : Fault Proofing
General Dynamics Armament Systems implemented Fault Proofing on the HYDRA-70 Program to reduce process variability and defects of key characteristics. This proactive approach integrates government/industry teaming to provide positive control measures with measurable results and continuous improvements.
Previously, General Dynamics Armament Systems (GDAS) used a reactive approach to defects. No systematic assessment existed for reviewing the entire Technical Data Package (TDP) or the production process as a whole to root out defect potentials of key characteristics. To resolve this situation, GDAS’ HYDRA-70 team designed and implemented a structured, value-added Fault Proofing approach. This continuous improvement process features government/industry teaming and a prioritized, phased-in approach to focus on defect prevention and reduction, attack process variation, and remove non-value added tasks. The process allows a team to identify and eliminate root causes assignable to the manufacturing process through upstream analysis, process controls, and manufacturing variability reduction (MVR) techniques.
The HYDRA-70 TDP contains over 2,000 key characteristics that are classified as criticals, specials, majors, or performance enhancing. Currently, 22 major suppliers support the HYDRA-70 Program. The experience and knowledge of a government/industry team enable the comprehensive valued-added approach to prioritize fault proofing and MVR opportunities. Criteria for prioritizing opportunities include: Defect history and failure data
Nature of defect(s)
Detection at manufacturer, load assembly pack, or field
Disposition (e.g., use as is, rework, scrap)
Impact rating (e.g., correction, performance, safety)
Team consensus to priority rating
To date, GDAS has determined that 2,011 (99.6%) key characteristics are under control and only need process monitoring. The remaining (0.4%) characteristics are prioritized items that are currently in-process, fault proofing projects, expected to be completed during the first half of 2003. The company’s Fault Proofing approach has been to focuse on the entire TDP and production process applying phased-in plans to reduce process variability and defects. Suppliers and customers are integrated into a process that promotes communication and provides opportunities to combine experience, knowledge, and lessons learned. This proactive process also provides positive control measures which yield measurable results.
For more information see the
Point of Contact for this survey.