||MIL-HDBK-470A: Designing and Developing Maintainable Products and Systems
B.6.2 - Administration
As mentioned in the description of the maintainability
test plan, a test team consisting of members of both the procuring activity,
if any, and the system developer should be formed to manage the test program. The team members should be empowered to make decisions for their respective organizations. Each member of the team may have advisors from their organizations who are knowledgeable in the various aspects of the demonstration and the requirements of the verification/demonstration/evaluation plan. The responsibilities of the team will be in accordance with what is described in the maintainability test plan, and should typically include the following:
- Maintain surveillance over maintenance and
inspection operations. Any apparent discrepancies in maintenance task
accomplishment and documentation observed by any member of the team should
be brought to the attention of the remaining test team members within one
working day of the occurrence for appropriate action.
- Evaluate and validate maintenance and operational
data to determine applicable labor hours, flying hours, operating time,
maintenance time, downtime, item status, etc.
- Assure that the demonstration item selected has
been adequately prepared in accordance with applicable technical manuals and
that no maintenance has been deferred that will compromise the successful
completion of the next scheduled operation or mission prior to being placed
in an operational ready status.
- Decide if resulting failures, maintenance time,
elapsed downtime, maintenance labor hours, etc., should be chargeable in
cases where operator or maintenance crew errors have been committed.
- Rule on questions of whether or not the
verification, demonstration, and evaluation plan has been adhered to.
- Rule on controversial points which may arise that
are not specifically covered by applicable specifications or other pertinent
documentation. Further, determine those matters which require contractual
interpretation or resolution by the appropriate procuring authority and
system developer organizations. For these matters, the test team majority
and minority statements should be submitted to the procuring activity, or
other applicable authorities' contracting officer for resolution.
- Prepare and submit demonstration status reports to
the procuring activity and system developer.
- Analyze data and determine the extent of
achievement of specified maintainability requirements.
- Prepare and submit final results of each of the
maintainability test phases to the procuring activity and the system
developer within the time period indicated in the test plan.
- Assure that the following conditions have been
fulfilled prior to the start of the demonstration and evaluation test phase:
- each test item complies with the established
configuration or that all deviations reported have been accepted by the
- all required technical manuals have been updated
- all support resources are available in the type
and quantity specified in the verification, demonstration and evaluation
- all operator or maintenance crew personnel are
properly trained and meet established skill level requirements.
- all records of approved changes in personnel requirements, operating
and maintenance manuals, data handling procedures and analysis techniques
have been incorporated in the final revision of the verification,
demonstration, and evaluation test