||MIL-HDBK-881A: Work Breakdown Structures for Defense Materiel Items
- This handbook is approved for use by all Departments and Agencies of the
Department of Defense. It is for guidance only and should not be included as a
- This handbook addresses mandatory procedures for those programs subject to
DoD Instruction 5000.2. It also provides guidance to industry in
extending contract work breakdown structures.
- A Work Breakdown Structure (WBS) provides a consistent and visible
framework for defense materiel items and contracts within a program.
This handbook offers uniformity in definition and consistency of approach for
developing the top levels of the WBS. The benefit of uniformity in the
generation of work breakdown structures and their application to management
practices will be realized in improved communication throughout the
- This handbook is an update to MIL-HDBK-881, Work Breakdown Structures for
Defense Materiel Items. MIL-HDBK-881A is based on the cooperative
efforts of the military services with assistance from industrial
associations. Changes to the handbook specifically address the advances
in technology, modification of the acquisition process, and incorporation of
new developmental concepts and approaches.
- Beneficial comments (recommendations, additions, deletions) and any
pertinent data which may be of use in improving this document should be
addressed to: Office of the Undersecretary of Defense (Acquisition,
Technology, and Logistics) (OUSD(AT&L)) Acquisition Resources and
Analysis, 3020 Defense Pentagon, Room 3D161, Washington, DC 20301-3020.
Since contact information can change, you may want to verify the currency of
this address information using the ASSIST Online database at http://assist.daps.dla.mil.