Millar Western Pulp (Meadow Lake) Ltd. - Saskatchewan, Canada
One of the major challenges facing the pulp and paper industry is reducing the negative effects of liquid effluents on natural waterways. In the company's Greenfield installation, which commenced operations in 1992, the problem of effluent discharge to waterways was decisively dealt with by construction of a zero liquid effluent discharge facility.
There is no pipeline from the mill to any waterway - all of the process waste water is treated and 80% is recycled as distilled water for reuse in the process. The remaining 20% of the water is lost in the drying of the final pulp product, and by evaporation from effluent and treated water holding ponds.
The effluent treatment system uses conventional evaporation, concentration and incineration unit operations to effect this significant accomplishment.