Producibility Elements Highlighted:
Recognize the Need for Management Commitment
Secondary: 1.2 Organize for
Market competition, driving the need to improve quality, reduce cost, and shorten cycle times, prompted McDonnell Douglas Aerospace (MDA) - West (Boeing Space Systems) to aggressively pursue concurrent engineering. While MDA has practiced concurrent engineering over the years, top corporate management recently re-emphasized its policy to build the product right the first time, every time. This re-emphasis, coupled with integrated CAD/CAM systems, provided a supportive environment for concurrent engineering (CE). Management demonstrated the backing of its policies through organizational restructuring, and the company has moved away from functional organizations toward Integrated Product Development (IPD) teams that operate in a flexible matrix. IPD multi-functional teams provide the communications interaction foundation for concurrent engineering efforts at MDA. The teams are augmented with integrated design and manufacturing support systems that create the environment for near real-time concurrent engineering. IPD efforts focus on eliminating functional communication barriers or "silos." As a result, IPD provides the framework for MDA's concurrent engineering efforts. This effort is a holistic, systematic approach encompassing the entire life-cycle development effort from concept through disposal.
CE/IPD represents a common sense approach to proceed with the right thinking up front and promote all possible parallel actions. This common sense approach to CE/IPD deployment has provided several benefits, including:
- Increased efficiency through early up-front communications;
- Awareness of downstream needs of all;
- Enterprise product ownership because of team involvement;
- Reduction in non-value added activity;
- Establishment of contact networks between suppliers and teammates;
- Higher first-time quality in all program phases;
- Increased use of shared data;
- Reduction in part counts through robust design principles;
- Higher performance achieved on schedule with less rework; and
- Reduced life cycle cost.
CE/IPD supports the TQM philosophy. It is a methodology, a philosophy, and a mindset that helps teams of product developers define all aspects of a product's life cycle from concept through disposal.