Satisfaction Through Design for Manufacture/Assembly and Six Sigma Analysis
Design Methodologies and Tools
The IPT Design Team, whose overall process is shown in
Figure E.3, used the following methodologies/tools during the cover design:
- The team met frequently to discuss design options. Hand sketches were used
to evaluate options and performance, and first pass DFMA and Six Sigma were
performed on conceptual sketches. The team documented the pros and cons for
each design concept.
- DFMA analysis was applied.
- Six Sigma analysis was used to evaluate performance tradeoffs.
- DFMA analysis was used to determine the best design approach and assembly
- Timely cost/performance tradeoffs were considered.
- The design team met frequently with manufacturing and the assembly shop to
identify the required tooling.
E.3 - IPT Overall Process