||NAVSO P-3690: Aquisition Logistics for the Rest Of Us
All metrics discussed in Part III should be traceable
to contract requirements, if they are not Government responsibilities. The
following are additional considerations to be included in the contract.
- Specify customer/vendor conferences to foster
integrated product teams and educate all parties on what is expected.
- Specify the specific design analyses to be
- Require failures to be summarized and categorized
(part type, cause, location, supplier, etc.).
- Require that manufacturing screening be performed.
- Require commercial-off-the-shelf/non development
item reliability be identified.
- Specify requirements for obsolescence and
technology refresh programs.
- Use long term contracting vehicles to support
direct vendor programs.
- State whether to permit utilization of commercial
specifications and standards for asset replenishment or repair, or
performance standards vice "build to print."
- Require a time delivery requirement for all
shipments to the Navy from contractors.
- Require core transportation carriers to provide
near real time shipment tracking services and support customer access to
their shipment tracking system.
- Specify vendor managed inventory whenever justified
to reduce inventory costs and delivery times.
- Acquire limited rights, as a minimum, for
proprietary and copyrighted data to allow reproduction and distribution of
the data for government purposes.
- Specify requirements for the contractor to develop
and provide a technical data package of hazardous materials incorporated
into the weapon system design and/or required for maintenance.
- Specify a design goal of minimizing both the
variety and volume of materials required for maintenance support of the
- Specify the criteria for evaluation of the
offeror's Environmental Safety and Occupational Health integration and
design constraints imposed upon the contractor to minimize long-term costs
of environmental compliance
- Specify the facilities support concept (e.g.,
existing Naval facilities will be utilized for support) and specify that the
contractor perform analyses to verify compliance with that concept.
- Require the contractor to provide product characteristics (e.g., length,
width/beam, depth/height) and support requirements on a periodic basis as
design/construction progresses rather than as a one time